Garden City Community Centre Seniors/55+ Program
Welcome Back All 55+ Participants!
We are looking forward to resuming our program and thank you all for your patience. These are very trying times and not being able to see others and socialize has been very difficult for many so we are very glad to be able to put together somewhat of a temporary solution to get everyone back to our program.
Under current Health Orders our gymnasium capacity cannot exceed more than 17 people which makes accommodating larger exercise class sizes impossible. In order to get everyone back sooner, we have decided to move the classes into the SoccerPlex area at our facility which will enable us to host a larger number of our participants. Our instructors have limited availability at this time so we have moved the programs to later in the day and have put together the best schedule possible at this time. We will review our options continually as Health Orders are updated/changed.
As the Turf area is not a smooth surface - please use caution when participating. In order to keep everyone safe during these uncertain times we ask that all participants adhere to the following protocols:
1. Participants/Instructors must use the self-screening tool before coming to the facility. Please visit https://sharedhealthmb.ca/covid19/screening-tool/ if you are unsure. Participants must stay home when ill and users are not allowed entry if they are ill with COVID-19 symptoms.
2. All Participants/Instructors must use the hand sanitizer at the entrance to the facility.
3. All Participants/Instructors must wear a mask in the facility. You are not required to wear your mask while participating in class but we do recommend it if you are able. Your mask must be worn at all times when not participating in a class.
4. Maintain social distancing during class. We have moved this to a larger space to ensure that this is possible. Please do not gather.
5. The Resource Room will remain closed until further notice.
6. Participants must bring their own mat for Yoga and 55+ Circuit classes.
All Annual and 6 Month pass holders are required to bring their passes to class. This pass will be good until November 30, 2020. We will also have additional monthly passes on sale September 2, 2020 at 10:00 am in the Gymnasium.
Pickle Ball – We will be resuming Pickle Ball in the Gym after the Labour Day Weekend. We ask that the capacity in the Gym be kept to 12. 8 participants can play at a time and 4 can be seated on the stage area while they await their turn.
Walking Track - we will be opening the Walking Track September 8th. The hours of operation will be Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Garden City's Seniors/55+ Program is now entering it's 5th year and we are going stronger than ever. Our instructors are certified experienced individuals who are familiar with the hurdles associated with exercise as we grow older. Whether you are 55 and newly retired or well into your golden years there is something here for you! STRONGER TOGETHER!
Garden City Community Centre is pleased to offer programming for Seniors/55+ Retirees in the Seven Oaks area. The Seniors/55+ Program was established to help create affordable activity for Seniors and Retirees in our community. By offering exercise, dance, yoga, and various gaming activities we hope to improve the overall mental and physical health of our participants. Participants are encouraged to help lead and promote the program by teaching and assisting new participants, car pooling, and positive reinforcement.
The Program is guided by our Seniors/55+ Council which is comprised of Seniors currently active in the Program. The Council's mandate is to ensure quality programming which meets the needs of our area and its participants.
For information regarding our exercise/active living programs please contact Connie Mulholland Garden City Seniors Fitness Convenor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please direct any questions via email to:
Connie Mulholland – Seniors Fitness Convenor